View Single Post
Old 08-06-22, 10:21 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Here is my 1UP 1.25" that I just received. It is very solid for one bicycle with the 1.25" hitch. It actually sways slightly from the front wheel pivoting while you are driving.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1fcexjeyd..._0319.jpg?dl=0

1.) It is a nice piece of engineering. Everything is milled perfectly and no scratches.
2.) First concern was what if a tire went flat on the bicycle while driving. Google searches said not to worry.
3.) Since I had a $69 dollar rack previously, I was not worried about theft. Now I am. Going to look at getting a u-lock and lock the rack to the hitch. This would also solve the concern of the post coming out. They give you a Velcro strap for this but in no way would it stop the rack from falling out. When I am traveling and staying over night at a hotel or camping I will just disconnect and put it in the back of the SUV. It is very light and compact.
4.) In using it for taking the bicycle off, you want to disconnect the front wheel first.. Otherwise, if you did the rear first, the bicycle will pivot on the front wheel and want to fall off. You can do the front wheel and them move to the rear and the bicycle stays stable.
5.) Have not tried the extension, but will in a few weeks. It is again perfectly milled and assembled with no manufacturing blemishes of any kind.
6.) I actually hated installing it the first time as I knew my older 1.25" hitch was going to mess up the nice aluminum post on the 1UP(scratches and rust marks).