Old 08-07-22, 05:01 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Stainless Tubus racks?

Got a new touring bike, and it's coming together. It'll be used mostly for commuting and grocery shopping stuff. Maybe someday I'll do some overnights, and get into proper bike touring.

I'm seriously considering a stainless Tubus Logo in the rear, and a stainless Tubus Tara on the front.

On my last bike, the aluminum/aluminium Topeak Super-Tourist rear racks would snap about every 5 years, so I'm thinking of stepping up to steel… And I live and ride close enough to the sea that I'm leaning towards stainless.

I tested out how an Ortlieb Front-Roller fits on a friend's Tara rack, and my concern is that the hook at the bottom of the bag is too far back, which could let the front/bottom of the bags "flare out", away from the rack. Ideally, there'd be a place for the hook to slide forward, and still hold the bag to the rack.

I haven't tested how the Back-Roller bags mate with the Logo rack, but looking at pictures I have similar concerns.

Anyway, I'm just looking for thoughts, opinions, and other options to consider, before I spend the $$$ on new racks.