Thread: Tern Go-to Bag
View Single Post
Old 08-07-22, 02:05 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I was only carrying 4.6kg (plus a 2L of water and my 75kg frame at the time) around. No need for higher gearing on the three of the five Four River trails I did.

Touring light has positive effects beyond weight:
  • easier & quicker daily packing and unpacking
  • Less strain on the bike & mechanical complication
  • Better aerodynamics
  • More agility and nimbleness when you ride into town.
Very good points

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I am puzzled by your surprise that I suffered no breakdowns. Road and surface conditions are far from bad, quite good actually, in the ROK, and my gear and equipment were solid.
Let's take the current trip to the Czech Republic. One out of the 3 folders got its rear rack shoved when traveling as checked luggage by air, which locked the rear wheel. There was some provisional straightening applied to get the bike going. The rest will be finished after returning to the base. First tour day involved some riding along agricultural roads, designated as bike trails too and one stretch had some pavement remnants intermixed with gravel parts. A member of our party hit hard an edge of the pavement stretch resulting in a flat. Later, when the bikes were parked, another member of the party knocked his bike that fell onto another bending its kickstand. That much and it has been just one tour day.