View Single Post
Old 08-07-22, 09:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The problem is, every dog owner is just absolutely sure THEIR dog would never do anything like that. And then it does. And they say, "Oh, he's NEVER done anything like that!" Too late.

Leash laws aren't just to protect people from your dog. They're to protect your dog from other dogs. You don't know that stranger over there, OR his dog. And he doesn't know you or yours. When I walk my dog through one park near me - in a town with a leash law - I encounter people with their dogs off leash. They often come running over while their owner impotently calls their name. What if my dog attacked theirs? And there they'd be, all the way across the park, unable to pull their dog back.

You. Don't. Know.
This. All of this.

My dogs are always leashed when outside of my house, and occasionally some other loose dog will come galloping up as we walk around the neighborhood. Yes, owners always come running after their dogs, impotently yelling their names, acting sooo surprised that the dog (who obviously has never had a lick of training) ignores them. And as I snatch my dog(s) away and restrain them, the other dogs' owners always say, "Oh, he's friendly, just wants to say 'hi.'"

My response is, "Sure, but my dogs don't want to say 'hi.' In fact, my dog is likely to murder your dog." And why shouldn't she? If I were walking down the street, minding my own business, and some random stranger came running straight at me, barking and growling, I'd probably put my fists up, too.
Likes For Koyote: