View Single Post
Old 08-08-22, 08:40 AM
bentaxle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
That's a beauty! How cool that you still have it!

I picked a very similar tandem up on Saturday with a free sign on the top tube. It has a number of similarities as far as frame configuration, but also many of the same components, down to the aluminum canti hanger on the headset. Maybe bulgie would know something about this one?

Not to hijack the thread, I just thought it was an interesting coincidence!
Wow, free is more than quite the deal. If the size is right for you and a stoker, you'll have awesome times with it. I do suspect it is a similar vintage, but I'm pretty sure it's not an R+E. But some similar features, for sure. The tube between the bottom brackets is ovalized on yours as on mine. But the sloping top tube is also ovalized on mine. Some other build differences, but the eccentric captain bottom bracket also looks the same. But there are only so many bits and bobs specific to tandems that were made at any time, so probably many builders used some of those things. (Note that my R+E has a Santana stoker stem!) I'm sure that the serial number is a clue. Could it be a similar vintage Santana? I'm sure knowledgeable folks like Bulgie might have ideas.

And, yes, I'm pleased to still have mine. I don't plan on parting with it, but need to find a way to get in some more rides with it.
Likes For bentaxle: