Old 08-09-22, 02:26 PM
mikekone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
Fat City perhaps at Classic Bicycles Auburn

Originally Posted by sbarner
I was selling Cannondales when they expanded from "bags and Buggers" to bicycle manufacturing. They were not only innovative, but very affordable, though there is some credence to the argument that they were simply ripping off Klein's innovation. The thing that made Cannondale successful was their ability to offer this innovation to the masses in a way that Klein did not even attempt to do.

The 24" rear wheel was supposed to have increased traction due to the angle at which the tire addressed the ground, with the 26" tire rolling over obstacles and rough surfaces more effectively. They also offered a 24" x 24" setup in the smallest frame size. Generally speaking, customers didn't like the 26" x 24" setup after they had ridden them for awhile. The Cannondale heat treated, oversize tube frame was already overly stiff and the small rear wheel sent even more shock to the rider through it. There was also the need to carry two different size spare tubes.

Stephen Barner
Bolton, Vermont

1983 Fat City
I'm toying with bringing this 1983 Fat City to Classic Bicycles Auburn August 26 to 28th. But I'm driving in and space is limited - might someone else making the trip to Auburn Indiana be able to bring a similar bike? Or perhaps better yet, maybe an earlier lugged one? Tasshi Dennis of Vintage Mtb workshop will be giving a talk on the early Mtb makers who started as road bike makers (actually check out the fork with Reynolds 531 blades in a track crown!) In any case, early Mtb's like this one are quite welcome at the bicycle display on Sunday - there is still room to join the fun.

This bike is too small for me. But I grew up in New England and I remember going into Chris Chance's shop. So I really like it. Also, a friend's brother worked for Chris and said Mtb's were becoming popular. I said it was probably just a fad. Yeah, kinda like computers and digital photography!

Thanks so much!

Mike Kone
Lead Organizer
Classic Bicycles Auburn
Likes For mikekone: