View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 05:44 PM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
FIFY. Great idea to send it to the newspaper too; that tends to get things done. I'm glad the bike is working for you; it looks fast.
yes it is fast. I've had what I thought were pretty quick-accelerating bikes before - 26r with (reasonably) light wheels - this thing is lightning fast off the line and stopping is so fast it's weird. that rotational momentum is a big thing

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
That's a really cool bike. XC bikes always look purposeful with the high seat and low stack.

I can see how you would spin out with the stock gearing and smaller slicks. It's kind of a traditional problem with MTB commuters but with the bike you chose the traditional fix (hybrid size chain rings) isn't in the cards. There are a few aftermarket cassettes (e13 and Garbaruk for example) with 9t top gears. The strong XC racing guys use 36+ front sprockets but a bigger sprocket loses anti-squat so that's a trade. If you look at 1x gravel bikes they often have 40 or 42 in front, if your bike can clear it.
yeah it looks the business This is size XL, I'm 6'3" with relatively long torso so on a more 'proportionally' sized guy the seat would be even higher. The geometry is miles different from what I am used to; and I think I need a longer lower stem.
Great info on the cassettes thanks, I did not know there were 9t options out there. I was hoping to run a 40t, that would have been sufficient. Wrecked bike had 44x11 which was about perfect. 36x9 is exactly the same so maybe I can make this work!

Originally Posted by Sardines
So sad that the world had to adjust for idiots who mess with their phones etc and not pay attention to when they are driving 2 tons of death metal! haha
yeah it is rather terrible, and when they mess up they get off light which is a huge miscarriage of justice imho. the automobile is a device which if was invented today and introduced to an otherwise safe society, would never be allowed by the regulating / legal authorities. Just like booze. ah well! why is my whiskey glass empty again dammit!