Old 08-15-22, 04:41 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
As usual, Yan, there is too much brand 'loyalty' and that often clouds thinking.

For me, the problem with BF is very simple: it is way overpriced and therefore uncompetitive relative to the options available today in 2022 and my needs. I don't need the service, customization or the group sense of belonging and the high premium involved in all that.

Again the same type of simplistic reasoning taking into account only the price !

Both Brompton and Bike Friday are designed and made (not only assembled) in a western country with workers paid a decent wage. Both bikes have a sophisticated design, not a simplistic middle frame folding hinge.

Then, both companies offer a real customer after sale support including for Brompton bikes sold in the EU two year full warranty and a wide network of resellers where customers can try the bikes and have their bike maintained. For Bike Friday, you have a wide choice of components and the Bike is almost custom built for you.
Both manufacturers offer a wide range of accessories for their bike (that some Chinese manufacturers also use or copy like the Brompton front luggage block and bags).

If for instance you buy an FNHON frame, its made by workers with an ultra low salary, you cannot test it, you receive a frame without any specification of which components will fit on it, no after sale support, no warranty (don't tell me that you can ship it back to China, its way too slow and expensive).

Other Asiatic manufacturers like Tern also offer sophisticated bikes with lots of accessories, but these aren't cheaper than Bike Friday and Brompton.

Last edited by Jipe; 08-15-22 at 04:45 AM.