View Single Post
Old 03-06-06, 01:21 PM
EmmCeeBee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
[...] I also strongly believe that it is foolish to buy a new thread-on freehweel hub. The cassette system is superior in every respect to the obsolete thread on freewheel system.
'Nough said. We're honored

Of course these points about cassette vs. freewheel -- design and availability -- are indisputable (including the "only 9-speed" error, which I realized and corrected above). But two things sometimes make us choose a non-optimal solution: vanity and cost. Vanity makes some people choose purple-anodized laser-etched boutique hubs, which offer a solution in search of a problem.

But cost is a valid decision factor, especially when $200 represents 1/4 the cost of the rest of the bike. It certainly would give me pause if I were to decide between FSA or FSC hubs.

Perhaps Phil Wood is only taking advantage of this, since his freewheel hub is significantly cheaper than the cassette hub. Still, from what I know about PW hubs, I'd expect a PW freewheel hub to be strong enough not to worry about bearing placement and strength. True?

It goes without saying -- but I'll say it anyway. Your knowledge, and your willingness to share it, is our ultimate resource. I go to other people for stories, but go to your website for knowledge. Thanks...

-- Mark