Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by sdodd
Sorry - no particular suggestions on brands. (though Todd at DaVinci does sell tandems with bull horns so you might send an email to him)

My personal experience as a (short) captain with stoker bullhorn bars is that they nearly kill me every time I get on and off the tandem. For the bars to be wide enough so I don't have interference with hands/butt while riding, they seem to get in the way of my leg swing when getting on/off. I do also sometimes have issues with drop bars and dummy hoods, but less issues. Seems that whatever position my wife likes for bull horn / drop bars, the bull horn bars catch my foot and I nearly fall over. So, just a warning if/when you get some installed. =)

simon
Goodness gracious. Just stand on one foot, and lean way forward as your stoker gently guides your foot through the maze. It's easy. Same with dismounting.

I (captain) have clip-on aero bars so I built a set of aero bars for my stoker. It's just an aluminum pipe through the stem with a pair of clip-ons on the ends. The pipe is long enough so that stoker's hands just clear my butt when she's down on the bars. When she gets down on the bars, we're gone.