Old 08-21-22, 01:42 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
A funny (I think) but true story. On a long brevet, the RBA apologized for like 3 controls in 30 miles. He says to us, you can just sign it yourself. I plan to be at one of the towns having a beverage (probably coffee or Tea) and I'll see you go by. If you want to stop and buy something, that is ok too. I asked him at one of the overnights, he said there was a way to shortcut and miss some climbs.

What I love about PBP WRT controls. The first one is at 221 km. Yes, you have to go thru Mortagne au Perche (a control on the return) and they have food, water, and a proper place to pee pee. But....you can just be independent. You want to stop at a town for food? No problem. You want to accept kindness of fans on the road. Even better. Somehow it really feels good. Compared to TABR or other ultra races where ethics are confusing, PBP just feels good. I remember in Kentucky a Dot Watcher stopped me for a Photo and offered me a gatorade. I was very, very thirsty. I declined. She said she told a photo with every single racer and every single one got the same gatorade. So, I accepted. To think that I had to question my ethics at the time is a bit much. I did cheat.....I provided a rider some photons in the middle of the night when it took him a hour to fix a flat. Myself needed a rest and some comical relief. He was so screwed up he could not fix his flat. The beauty of randonneuring is the generousity of other riders....a rando would have fixed the flat for the inept racer. I knew that was crossing the line, but shining a light? Sue me.
Likes For GhostRider62: