View Single Post
Old 08-21-22, 03:20 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Newly acquired 1982 Peugeot P8 road bike

I just got this delightful 1982 Peugeot P8 (P9?) for $20 today to replace my 1969 Schwinn Collegiate ($25 in Philly in 2012) that got in an accident (hit by truck at low speed, all OK now that fork was bent back). The Collegiate rides well enough but is too heavy and the rims don't stop in the rain. I do plan to repack the bearings (just did front hub and bottom bracket) on the Collegiate before selling it. Anyhow, this thing really impressed me. Pretty standard 27 x 1-1/4" tires, probably 54 cm frame, 12 speeds, light-ish 1030 (Carbolite 103) steel, Suntour derailleurs, and (apparent based on weight and appearance) aluminum rims, though I didn't have a magnet to do the magnet test. It's probably about 25 lbs so lighter than the Panasonic. I think it's a '82 Peugeot P8 based on the Suntour Seven RD and other components listed here (https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...ure_P8_P18.jpg). Also I would be happy if, as the brochure suggests, it does NOT have a Maillard Helicomatic hub. I plan to clean and lube the chain and probably repack the bearings, plus raising the seat and handlebars an inch or so for my 5'10" self, though it seemed to fit decently well, and it did for the couple who had it last (5'6" and 5'9", respectively). The previous owners said they had taken care of it pretty well and it had served them reliably for several years.

Carbolite 103 tubing sticker

Top tube decal plus carbolite sticker

"made in France" hinting at 1982-1983 model year

Drive side view at bike rack

Big basket, non drive side

Another view at an angle, drive side

Drive side view with concrete background
Likes For molleraj: