View Single Post
Old 08-26-22, 11:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10528 Post(s)
Liked 12,104 Times in 6,195 Posts
I got a real feeling of deja vu on last night's ride. Caņada Road, heading North from Woodside, has about 2 miles of about 2% gradient, with 2 stop signs. Wednesday, I had slowed to almost a dead stop at the first one - because The Fuzz like to stake out the stop signs and ticket cyclists who blow through them - when a younger, skinnier guy in dark kit blows by me, having not even slowed at the stop. He got a pretty good gap on me while I was starting up again, so I used him as a rabbit, and even though I also nearly stopped at the second sign, I came within 5 bike lengths by the top of the climb. I stayed there the remaining 1/2 mile or so to where I'd parked because it would be a real dick move to sprint past him only to turn off. It was fun. I don't even know whether he knew I was there.

Last night, I slow to a stop at the same stop sign, and again, a younger, skinnier guy shoots past me and gaps me before I have a chance to get going again. Same result, although this time I noticed that the gap was pretty constant till the steepest part of the grade, where he seemed to slow a bit. I remembered he'd done that the day before, too.

I'll be interested to see if he's there tonight.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles