View Single Post
Old 08-26-22, 04:21 PM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
One of the advantages of the Shimano Uniglide Freewheels/Cassettes is that except for one or two of the smallest sprockets, the cogs are reversible so you can use the unworn side...

Note: the screw-on small sprocket and sometimes the next larger one are not reversible.

Another solution is to switch to a Hyperglide cassette. This requires a slight modification to the splines. Hyperglide freehubs and cassettes have one wide spine.

Use a Dremel tool or a file to reduce the width of the wide spline. Note: the cassette sprockets are held together with 3 screws or rivets. They're only used to make assembly easier and can be removed and discarded.

verktyg
yeah I was reading about this, some of my cogs are actually worn down about halfway (or maybe broken halfway) so I was hoping to find a uniglide in better condition. I watched a youtube video regarding shaving down hyperglide splines which seems doable as well. A new hyperglide freehub is only about $25 though so seems worth it to not have to go through the manual labor of unbunching the hyperglide cassette and then filing each one. Hoping one of the members above has one I can take off their hands!