Old 08-27-22, 09:14 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Did a 10 mile loop today.

Rode on some single lane double yellows (SLDY)
The roads were not too busy, thankfully, since I can't keep up with 30 mph and creating a hazard for cars.

When there is a shoulder, and I see a car coming up behind me, I cheat over into the shoulder to let the car pass.
Is this bad? Should I stay in the middle of the lane, and force the car to stay behind me?
It is illegal to pass on a DY lane.
All states, laws, situations are/may be different.

Obligatory disclaimer aside, it's generally illegal for a car to cross a double yellow to pass an otherwise able vehicle. It is however legal to cross for a slow moving vehicle or other obstruction. Farm tractors, Amish buggies, downed tree branches, Giant rocks, holes, etc...It is the expectation that in addition to being legal to cross the double yellow, a full lane of space be given to cyclists, pedestrians & other vulnerable or slow road users and passing shall not be done so unless it can be done in a safe & controlled manner.

Each states particular wording may vary a bit, but the sentiment is generally consistent. The road is for people, cars are just one possible conveyance of many. The responsibility rests on the driver of the vehicle capable of the most harm.