mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by ericlowney
I currently have a Shimano 105 FH-1051. The rim that hub is laced to is tubular, and I'm getting lots of recommendations to not buy tubular tires and try to get another set of wheels with clincher rims. I think ideally I would find some wheels that are 700c, clincher, and 7speed compatible (FH1055 or Shimano 600 6401 would be great because they take uniglide or hyperglide cassettes) but so far any wheels I see that are spaced at 126mm are for freewheels (not freehubs). There are also not that many options on ebay either. Appreciate the info on the shorter teeth!
As you’ve probably heard, it’s not hard to stuff a 130mm hub in a 126mm frame, nor is it hard to cold set a frame to 130.

Alternately, there’s typically room to take a spacer out of the NDS of a hub (sometimes both sides), cut the axle down (or replace it with a shorter one), redish the wheel and Bob’s your uncle.

I have some tubular tires and while they are a dream to ride, my first set I glued pealed off in a fast corner, so I’m gun-shy. Also, for the same amount of money (good tubulars cost good money), one can get very high quality, supple clinchers (eg René Herse). They don’t have the pinch flat resistance of tubs, but not all of us feel the need to ride their vintage road bikes on logging roads…