View Single Post
Old 08-29-22, 08:10 AM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
As you’ve probably heard, it’s not hard to stuff a 130mm hub in a 126mm frame, nor is it hard to cold set a frame to 130.

Alternately, there’s typically room to take a spacer out of the NDS of a hub (sometimes both sides), cut the axle down (or replace it with a shorter one), redish the wheel and Bob’s your uncle.

I have some tubular tires and while they are a dream to ride, my first set I glued pealed off in a fast corner, so I’m gun-shy. Also, for the same amount of money (good tubulars cost good money), one can get very high quality, supple clinchers (eg René Herse). They don’t have the pinch flat resistance of tubs, but not all of us feel the need to ride their vintage road bikes on logging roads…
I had considered doing something like that, but finding some vintage wheels just seemed 'easier' (note easier does not always mean better). I have a 120mm frame (actually mic'd at 118mm) but already have a 126mm rear wheel in there and things seem to be going okay. I'm hesitant to spread the frame to 130. I've never owned tubulars, I just happened upon these wheels that had a 7-speed uniglide freehub at my Coop for cheap so I picked them up.