View Single Post
Old 08-30-22, 01:01 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Neither you or the frame builder know enough about frame geometry to get it right. The fault lies with you as I would not expect a frame welder to know this. I take a bike that does work for me and then give those specifications to the guy welding the frame.

Top tube length and fork rake are very important and knowing the body dimension you provided is not nearly enough. I would write off the cost of the frame and start at the beginning by spending time as bike shops and making notes. There are also websites like the ones for Specialized and Trek that provide dimensions and angles for various types and frame sizes.Neither you or the frame builder know enough about frame geometry to get it right. The fault lies with you as I would not expect a frame welder to know this. I take a bike that does work for me and then give those specifications to the guy welding the frame.

Top tube length and fork rake are very important and knowing the body dimension you provided is not nearly enough. I would write off the cost of the frame and start at the beginning by spending time as bike shops and making notes. There are also websites like the ones for Specialized and Trek that provide dimensions and angles for various types and frame sizes.

Standover height is important if you make sudden stops and have cleats that lock you to the pedals. Otherwise it is a simple matter to reduce the height of the bike by leaning it to one side. I can reduce the seat height of my bikes by more than 20 inches by doing this. A longer seat post that flexes is going to damage the lug holding the seat tube to the top tube and not a good idea.