scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I'll be interested to hear your comparison of the Power and Mirror saddles, after you've had some saddle time on the new one.
I promised an update so here it is. It took me awhile to get the fit right, it turns out this saddle sits ~1cm higher than the non-mirror Power. I should have checked that but I blithely assumed that they were going to be the same on that front as they eyeballed similarly. So I rode with it too high for a while. Even at 1cm too high it was more comfortable than the non-mirror version. Now that I have it fit properly (I went to my fitter since I kept screwing it up on my own) it is very impressive, the comfort is a dream and I am getting no urge to stand up to relieve the pressure. On the non-mirror I had about an hour of good riding before I needed regular stand-up sessions, and this was after a professional bike fit. So I think I am done messing with saddles for a good long while.

In terms of the ride, it feels softer but also a bit different, like sitting on one of those exercise balls a bit. It is a bit harder to move back and forth on it but that cuts both ways, it is easier to put big power down without wasting energy holding your saddle position. I didn't really think I was trying to hold position on my old saddle, but with the new one I can tell I was constrained a bit by that. You can still move around but it requires a bit more un-weighting. Overall I prefer the more locked-in position. Anyway the main advantage is not this, it is the comfort on longer rides.

Hopefully the price will keep coming down on these, that is the main downside at this point. I never would have gotten it if I was doing OK on my existing saddle, or if I was sticking to shorter rides.