View Single Post
Old 09-03-22, 08:44 PM
ItsKYRO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
To be honest, bicycle shifting, especially with numbers, is the most a-backwards setup for those who are not familiar with what happens when a shift is made. Basically you shift the left (front derailleur) and the right (rear derailleur) in opposite directions to pedal faster (harder) or slower (easier).

For people who have ridden a lot and understand gearing it makes perfect sense; and becomes second nature.

It also doesn’t help when manufacturers decide that they need to help a new rider and number the rear shifter in opposite ways.

In as simple terms as possible, the the larger the chainring, in front, the faster you go. The smaller the cog, in rear, the faster you go. Each chainring, in front, is independent of the others, and gives you a “range” of speeds when you shift the rear cogs to go faster or slower.

If you are in the middle front chainring, numbered as 2, and you can ride as fast or slow as you want, you never have to use the left shifter, you just use the range of rear cogs. You only need the other chainrings if you need to go faster or slower than you can when in 2.

Your job is to know if the numbers are slower or faster.

John

Edit added: Over time you will understand that there is overlap in each range of gears, so you won’t shift through all the rear cogs and then shift a front chainring.

This is where a gear inch chart can show you the overlap points.
Thanks everyone for your replies. 70sSanO, I think you put it in terms easiest for me to understand here. My only concern is the not crossing the chains, if i'm understanding that part correctly it would mean only keep the chainring in front in low with the cog on a low number (1 - 4ish?) and only take it up to the high chainring if i've got the cog in the back on a high number (5-7?), and if that's correct that means that 1 on front, and 1-4 on back would allow me to go slower than 2 on front, and 1-4 on back, and then the same with if i need to go faster than what 2 on front and 5-7 on back would allow me to go, i need to move the front chainring to 3, but only while ive got the back cog in 5-7, otherwise i risk crossing them. Is that correct?