View Single Post
Old 09-09-22, 03:43 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
When I bought my SOMEC, I didn't even think I will get it, just told my friend, I'll use his approach on negotiating to offer a shamelessly low price. Since the ad stated "it is a SOMEC, so knowers should know what that means" I offered a shameless EUR 110,-, which was really low even when I think back based on the photos it didn't look promising, but either this or no SOMEC.... The seller answered, being super happy and sharing that he is actually just gathering money for the "Bikes for Africa" movement, and from this amount he can buy 4 if not 5 sturdy cheapo MTB's which better suit the conditions over there. I felt a relief that it really made him happy, and not because he was a clueless loser thinking he made the deal of the day for a 50 year old rusty bike.

Cut 2 roughly half a year later said friend, who also badly wanted one offered 140 for one in Austria where the seller also donated the money to an organization helping poor kids to participate in a summer camp.
These two made plenty of people happy I guess.

In the city I live its common to put stuff not needed anymore on the streets with a "for giveaway" tag, before the owner finally calls the trash co. for the ones really not needed by anyone, but even the trash co. is trying to give a second chance to furniture and bicycles before they scrap them..... cheap auctions for the better ones, and a dedicated giveaway portal where the ones in need can browse for stuff they need.