Old 09-10-22, 06:37 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Exactly. The 120V outlets are out there. Supervised and unsupervised. The amount of electricity used is minimal and many of the first generation charging stations were free in light of that. Pun intended. That said, the need for too many owners of EV's of all sizes and shapes, is to want to treat them like gas cars that fill up when the tank runs dry, or nearly so. Big fail. Lithium batteries absorb power too slowly for that kind of use regime. A charger that forces power into a battery such that you can get a usable amount of power in, say, an hour or two is destroying that battery every time it is used. Ride within the range of your battery or don't bother with an e-bike or you will be as frustrated as the o.p. of this thread is. Long distance touring is not yet a use paradigm that can be supported by e-assist battery technology in 2022.
If you have a large enough battery, charging fast enough can put enough power into the battery in an hour to make a big difference. My most usage for a single day was 4080 watt hours for 144 miles. Weight was over 400lbs into a stiff headwind. See the account here Wadsworth Ohio to Buckley Mi: Day 1: Off my game right from the start (topicwise.com)
I have learned a lot since and am lightening the load considerably. I intend to do the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route next summer unsupported. To my knowledge is has only be done with solar charging and considerable wait time. I don't want the weight times. I will be mostly camping and want 60-80 miles a day. The longest stretch without power is probably 135 miles. I will also have the 4 lb poodle with me. Care to join me? The gazebo in the background has power outlets to charge.

Power at gazebo in square with coffee/bakery shop

Bike with dog and backpack for dog
Likes For KPREN: