Old 09-14-22, 09:38 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 478 Posts
Debated whether to post this or not. But since a few C&V regulars seem to be always looking for large (60+cm) lugged steel frames, I thought I'd post this anyway.

BLUF: interesting, but it could be either a gem or a dog.

Charity eBay vendor on eBay in the St Louis area has a large, lugged steel frameset (including headset) for sale. Large, as in these listed measurements:
64cm (c-c) seat tube
60cm (c-c) top tube
230mm head tube
265mm fork steerer

Listing says fork spacing is 100/130, BB shell is 68mm (threading not specified).

What caught my eye was the claimed weight: 2920g, or a bit under 6 1/2 pounds. For comparison, the vendor also has a 58cm RB-T frameset (including headset) for sale; they claim a weight for the RB-T of 3210g - nearly half a pound heavier - for a significantly smaller frame.

The photos aren't too much help. I can't make out any markings on the frame except for "SNH" on the top tube. Can't really tell from the photos if it's been repainted. Rear dropouts are horizontal and appear to be either Suntour or Shimano (they're worn enough that all I can make out is the letter "S" and the upper part of a vertical stroke at the beginning of the manufacturer's name embossed on the dropout). Derailleur hanger is integral to the dropout and appears intact.

Here's the URL:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255723483962

No bids so far; starting bid is $75. Don't know if the vendor allows local pickup or not.

IMO I doubt it's worth buying without seeing it in person. But if you live nearby and are looking for a large lugged steel frame, it might be worth a look.

Posted for info; I have no connection to this vendor other than purchasing maybe a half-dozen items from them during the past few years. I periodically check their site, as they always have an interesting selection of vintage parts. I was doing that earlier today when I saw this and the RB-T.

Edited to add: forgot to mention above that the vendor is auctioning the frameset; auction ends at 3:34PM EDT on Monday, September 19, 2022. Also, the seatpost diameter is listed as 27.0mm; the derailleur clamp size is listed as 28.6mm. If accurate, that implies that at least the seat tube (and likely at least the main triangle) are made out of fairly nice tubing.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-14-22 at 11:35 AM.