View Single Post
Old 09-14-22, 10:52 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 1,089 Posts
It all depends on whether, when you're doing that non riding stuff in-between, you're still on a ride.

I do multi-day brevets, and I consider them a single ride because the clock is ticking. Even if I'm in my overnight hotel sleeping, I'm still on the ride. Because during that whole time, the ride is what life is all about. If I'm eating, it's to fuel the ride. If I'm sleeping, it's because I need sleep to carry on or because supplies are not available at night. But if I decide to DNF at the overnight, and ride home the next day, that was two rides. It's a state of mind.

I once did a 1000k brevet that was such a stupidly fast course that on the 2nd overnight, we had a campfire with hotdogs and marshmallows, then time for 8 hours of sleep. I call that one pretty marginal about being a single ride. The clock was ticking, but there was so much off-bike time it felt like multiple rides.