Old 09-17-22, 10:54 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I really dislike flat bars. I have been a drop bar rider most of my life, but have recently tried a couple of other types.

First up: Ritchey Beacon Handlebar. Still a drop bar, but with very shallow and 24 deg. flare on the drops. I just got these and had my second ride on them this morning. I am very impressed with the comfort factor for this bar, easy on my arthritic thumb, neutral hand and wrist positioning, easy and short travel for access to shifting and braking, can still get pretty low in a tuck for when needed. I have the 42cm, at the start of the curve, that flare out to 53cm at the bar ends c-c. I was a bit leery of the 53cm width, but it actually works well for me. I am rarely at the bar ends, and if so, usually for a short time.

Second: Velo-Orange Porteur Bar. Sort of a modified mustache bar, but narrower with little drop, or rise. I really like this bar also. Traditionally mounted with 15mm drop, but I prefer them reversed to a 15mm rise. A lot of hand positions and easy access to shifting and braking, with brifters, with minimal movement. Again, relief for the arthritic thumbs, easy on my neck and shoulders, neutral hand/wrist postion. They are 48cm at the curve and 50cm at the bar ends. I did have to lengthen the stem by 20-30mm. Again, very comfortable, while you can get a bit lower in a tuck, not as comfortable to be there as the Beacon bar.

In the end, I like both bars a lot, but I might give an edge to the Beacon due to the drop style and comfort in a tuck. I can stay there much longer than with traditional or compact drop bars. All I need to do now is figure out which bar to keep on which bike. One other thing to mention; I have chronic spinal issues and have had 4 surgeries, lumbar and cervical, both of these bars have been a plus in that regard. My spinal column is less stressed and I can stay in that position for much longer.

Sorry, first pic is the Porteur and 2nd is the Beacon