View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 08:33 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by George Mann
No. I am asking for an affordable and reliable (repairable) commuter that doesn't struggle to climb hills, and has reliable brakes (plus fenders and rack). My spending limit is $2K, not including the cost of tubeless conversion.

BTW, I am 5'11", and weight 145lbs. I also have a permanently damaged groin, so I need an ebike with a throttle.
Apologies for my characterization. My experience is limited to one Bafang BBSHD kit on a Clem Smith in very hilly off road terrain. 190 lbs on 20% offroad inclines with the BBSHD making the bike a low speed motorcycle w thumb throttle control.

There is a significant difference in power requirements between 5% on paved roads w 150 lbs and 200lbs on 10% paved inclines and 190lbs on 20% dirt incline. The difference for some affordable hub drive motors could be between doable to burning out. When you say “without struggling” it’s not clear whether you mean having an excess of available power to go up briskly or having to dial it down to save the motor/controller from overheating. Some people interpret “struggling” to mean the motor has hit obvious power limits and they can only go up an incline at 10mph when they’re able to go 20mph on the level w max throttle. W my Bafang I wouldn’t say it struggles to go up hills under throttle but it obviously slows down on the steep sections then shoots off like a rocket as it levels out. It’s max power is too much for the drivetrain so I have to be careful shifting and remember to drop the power setting when coming to a stop.

Human power output and throttle controlled power expresses itself differently as one eases up after the steep section to recover at a less effort but w throttle one can crank it up to the limit of the controllor and motor 100% of the time.
For the money and your weight the lower power Bafang BBSO2 will give you twice the power for throttle control than most complete hub drive bikes. Again my experience is limited. I went for the midrive as my torque/power requirements are steep hills and farm work.
Likes For LeeG: