Spinster
Freshly shorn

Bikes: Scott Speedster S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paris-Nice Stage 2

Write-up on Cyclingnews.com: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006...s/parisnice062

I have a question about this comment from Boonen:
Boonen is definitely the boss of the bunch. After 60 kilometres, when Crosbie had a 15 minute lead, his teammates from Quick Step were pacing. They asked some cooperation from CSC and Liberty Seguros. As they refused, Boonen instructed his teammates to stop working immediately. "They're lazy, we're not going to ride for them! Us at Quick Step, we do 25,000 kilometres per a year in front of the bunch", Boonen exaggerated.

Then he warned everyone: "Tomorrow on the climb of Croix de Chaubouret, I'll ride for 10 metres in front of the bunch and I'll let the race go. I'm not going to burn myself 10 days before Milan-San Remo. It's better if I save some energy for the following stage in Rasteau that suits me better."
________________________________________________________________________________

What does he mean by saying "I'll ride for 10 meters in front and let the race go"? How will staying 10 meters in front of the bunch make a difference?