View Single Post
Old 10-08-22, 06:40 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Bill Vetter revealed to me some of the mysteries of framebuilding in an article in Bike World magazine in the early 70's. He had visited Bill Hurlow in England to get his information and brought back a couple of Hurlow frames (including the model with his initials cut into the head lugs). Just as background information, America had just started to become interested in good bicycles around 1970 and most knowledge about how to make frames existed in Europe and not here in the US. Bike World magazine had just come out as competition to Bicycling magazine in this new-to-us sport.

I met Bill Vetter when my wife and I were doing a cycle tour of Vermont in the early 80's. We were resting at a scenic overlook when Bill and a friend of his from DC just happened by at the same time. He invited us for supper and we spent the evening chatting about building frames. What I recall is that Bill and his sister lived on a typical Vermont small dairy frame. That is how he made a living. Bill in his middle years had just got married to a younger city girl. The dynamics of all this was interesting. Sadly just a few years later Bill was killed in an auto accident.