View Single Post
Old 10-12-22, 10:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Thanks! Now that I have a specific goal in mind, I can start developing a plan. And I'm starting eleven months in advance--should be long enough. I found a very general training plan online for this event. It gives suggestions for distance and intensity month to month, starting in April. I still have to refine it and set up a weekly plan for myself. Through the winter I'll probably just get on the indoor trainer (I have a TACX machine that I really like) two or three times a week for an hour or so of moderately high power/mostly steady state grinding, and go outside when the weather permits... maybe some intervals or some easy spins according to my mood. Come spring, it gets serious. I will certainly look into the apps recommended upthread here.
Trainer Road will give you the best tailored plan outside of a personal coach. Just plug in your event details and the number of hours you have available to train. I would also recommend adding in a basic off-bike strength program to compliment. Don't waste the winter months with unproductive random training efforts like many people do. If you play it smart you can get way ahead of the game by Spring. That doesn't mean thrashing yourself over winter, but following a well structured plan. I think this is where the likes of Trainer Road can help keep you focused.