Old 10-12-22, 09:56 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 2,007 Times in 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I used a road bike - low gear was 34-32.

My friend's bike had a low gear of 39-23; he's strong as an ox, but it still took him 5 tries to clear Canton.

Canton's not the toughest climb in Pittsburgh -- it's pretty short. It's just the steepest.

agree

I've done a few of the Dirty Dozen climbs - including Logan in Millvale

the long climb out of Brush Creek Park is a tough one - used to be part of the Wheelmen Century (North Park to Ohio) but they (eventually) removed it from the route

the long climb out of Brownsville on the Mon Valley Century was also a tough one - they removed that from the route (eventually)

at one point we were riding the hills in / near Sewickley fairly often ... that will get you in climbing shape quickly ... you learn to eat hours before you ride those hills or good chance you will lose it

at the time I ran 39-28 or 38-28 - and some were amused at the 28t cog ...some even laughed - until they saw pros at the Thrift Drug Classic using 28t cogs ... (including Motorola team / Lance Armstrong)

Last edited by t2p; 10-12-22 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For t2p: