View Single Post
Old 10-15-22, 07:01 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Your choice is and should ultimately what makes you happy. I can see the noise issue more so than anything else being a good reason to avoid discs since you find it to be an issue for you.

Originally Posted by elmo449
There are just a few minor annoyances with discs that add up and leave me wanting to try the other options. The main one is noise. I've had 3 disc brake bikes, and I could not get any of them to be quiet consistently. I've tried cleaning and replacing pads and rotors, and had bike shops look at them. On a tour I don't bother to carry cleaning supplies, so I end up just putting up with it.
I haven't found then to be worse than cantis in that regard. Maybe it is a matter of pad choice, brake usage habits, or just dumb luck, but I have had very little problem with the dreaded disc squeal. Also I have found that cantis require a fair amount of fiddling with adjustment including toe in to avoid noise (again depending on pad choice, brake choice, and other factors). The bottom line is that for me the choice was about a wash between the bikes I have owned with discs and with cantis when it came to squeal.

Also, the disc is an extra step if I need to replace a broken spoke or pack the bike.
I have never bothered to take the discs off when shipping (maybe I should, but Ive never had a problem). The broken spoke thing is kind of a stretch unless you break a lot of spokes. It takes what, a few minutes to take a disc off given how frequently you need to do it I wouldn't sweat that.

I get that disc gives better braking, but I don't think the difference is that large, and I'm not riding aggressively on a loaded touring bike anyway. I've also been reading good things about wheels like the Ryde Andra, designed for heavily loaded rim braking, and I'm honestly curious to try them (and other rim related products) and see if the reputation is deserved, or just good marketing. I'm not really worried about wearing out rims, but maybe that's a lesson I need to learn the hard way
I am not up to date on these, but aren't most of the Ryde Andras sold for ebikes and built up with discs? In any case I would think pretty much any rim can be buily up as a disc wheel.

Any way, there is no reason not to buy what you prefer. I just figured that I sound off on my experiences in case they might be useful to you (or more likely someone else considering the same choice). You may be best off tring to find a nice lightly used bike of the model you like, buy custom, or buy something that isn't a pure touring bike. Personally I really don't like pure touring bikes so something less truck like would be on my list. Even when I packed pretty heavy I didn't care for them and not that I pack MUCH lighter I am more inclined away from them than ever. If shopping today I'd buy a gravel bike myself. It sounds like you are more interested in a pure touring bike though. Just maybe something like a crosscheck might suit you though.
Likes For staehpj1: