View Single Post
Old 10-15-22, 10:12 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
cudak888:
> I suppose those who call bike lanes for people of all ages and abilities "communist" is a platform that's simpler and easier to support.

Sure, communism is "things I don't like." I checked my dictionary. Under "subsidization" it also reads "a waste of money for trains that don't make a profit" and for "double standards" it reads "1. Well, highways don't need to turn profits because of all the positive externalities and economic benefits of suburbanites driving everywhere, 2. Shut up, you damn commie."

Oh wait, this isn't a dictionary. Whoops. I've been reading from a Facebook group for homeowners in American suburban town #292,103 ... or was it #191,203? Whatever, they all look the same and the residents all parrot the same responses.

On a serious note, this is a touchy bunch, eh? "Luddite" is somehow the worst insult ever. Maybe they are thrown off by "kvetching." In my travels I have noticed that people not from the Northeast or with a lot of Jewish acquantainces -- i.e., those unaccustomed to Yiddish words -- think the words mean much worse things. I don't know if it's ignorance or what, but it's a thing. Maybe it's like how when someone hears two people in their presence say something in another language, that person assumes they are talking dirt about the person. I can't understand it, but it must be about me, because I'm special ... but what they're saying is possibly bad, even worse than anything I could imagine.