View Single Post
Old 10-16-22, 04:12 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Plenty of white beards to choose from here. ;-)
I figured as much Well on my way there myself but at 55, still at the salt and pepper stage.

I had ambitious plans for a grand loop taking in all of the Narrow Gauge trail and Reformatory branch today, from my door, which would have added up to about 28 miles. Sanity prevailed when I realized how much of the connecting pieces would be numbered highways, including over 5 miles on Route 4 into Billerica with its nasty (for me) hills that aren't any flatter just because it's a splendid October Sunday. So instead I drove to the Great Meadows parking lot right by the Concord River, from where a mere 1.2 miles and 85 vertical feet got me to the northern end of the Narrow Gauge. It still was a bit of a rocky start, or more precisely, sandy and pebbly--the very northern section turned out to be in barely rideable condition. Things improved muchly after the first gate:

And indeed, joy was subsequently found in more ways than one.

I went all the way to Bedford and continued on the Reformatory (surprisingly lumpy by comparison) to, I guess it must have been, Hartwell Road. Reversed back to my car and thus had ridden about 11, very gentle, miles. I congratulated myself on my choice of shorts, possibly the last such day this year, though not so much on my choice of briefs. Enough said.

Lunch at home and my wife was still looking at a whole afternoon of work, a looming deadline, so back out I went. This time I rode from my front door to the BFRT and all the way to the Route 2A bridge. On the return leg, NARA Park offered this lovely bit of foliage...

... as well as a welcome change of posture for a walk around the pond, pushing the bike and munching a cereal bar.

Then on to H[e]art Pond where a couple of youths were busy blowing leaves off the trail, and ruining the mood to contemplate the sky.

But that was soon forgiven when another young'un decided to challenge me to a race! One look at his posture (hybrid bike with the saddle way too low for speed) and I took the challenge, quickly passing him in 52x19, and making sure to shift into 17 teeth while he could still see me, just to make a point. Sweet. Doesn't happen all that often

So all told I did ride well over 30 miles in the end, but with a minimum of road traffic and ascents. Suited me well today.
Likes For EVlove: