Old 10-18-22, 12:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
The theory behind ABS is vehicle control, not maximum braking. ABS allows one to maintain steering control, but it increases stopping distance. Maximum braking/minimum stopping distance is achieved via threshold braking (the point just before lock-up)...ABS takes the vehicle to the point of threshold braking, then releases the brakes momentarily, then reapplies, then releases, etc.
There are better and worse ABS systems. Subarus seen to have very, very good ones. I've at least twice known for sure I was getting creamed by those cars and they've stopped in time. And I am pretty darn certain those drivers were not doing sophisticated pedal work. My Prius is disappointing. I can out stop the ABS but the power assist is so strong, being light enough on the pedal is still hard for this guy who learned to drive in an ancient jeep and whose previous cars had no assist, then far less assist than the Prius. I'd love to have half the assist disappear. I'd be a better driver. And I'd use the ABS less.