View Single Post
Old 10-25-22, 11:04 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Good question @bianchigirl . The drive side race is 1.683", which works out 42.75mm between the flats. And 1.195" or 30.35mm for the non-drive side nut. This size also fits Schwinn headset nuts.

Could it be that the drive side race is 1-19/32"? That would be 1.693" in digital inches. Perhaps. But how common would a 1-19/32" wrench be? And that is 10 thousandths over the flat to flat dimension. I would think a better fit would be required.

And for the non-drive side nut, the closest fractional size is 1-13/64" or 1.203" in digital inches. Or 30.56mm. This is 8 thousandths bigger than the size of the nut. So, perhaps. Usually when making nuts you start with hex stock. Then all you have to do is drill the proper size hole, thread it and part it off. There is no need to machine the outside hex surfaces. This seems to be an odd size for hex stock as well, but perhaps it was more available at some time. Or it was a Schwinn specific size.
Anyway, odd sizes. Neither metric or a standard inch size.

The Sturmey Archer axle nut wrench came in with a perfect fit from Send Cut Send, but the Ashtabula crank wrench was just undersize. That lasered surface is tuff and the file skated right across it. I had to use sandpaper to open it up for the proper fit.

I am already making modifications to the drawing for a revision B, just so that if I ever need to make another it is the right fit. I also made a couple of minor tweaks while I was at it.

So far, I'm glad that no one has replied that I could have gotten a Park tool instead of designing my own.

The bottle opener has been done so often, but now that you bring it up.... No, it doesn't work as a bottle opener except if I put the wrench under the cap an hit upward on the wrench.

IMO, you are almost always better off without the Parks, they are never my first choice, especially when push comes to shove and the going gets tough.

47 year old Sugino's are the BB problem solvers, never fail and never hurt anything unless I force them to do so.
Likes For merziac: