genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
In my limited experience, Connecticutians hate thruhikers a little more than they hate cyclists.

WRT to traffic lights, none of mine will trigger for a cyclist. Somehow they are also timed by the cars going thru. What this means is if it is just one car, I will be halfway across the highway and the F'n light will change. So, I always hit the pedestrian crosswalk button. That gives me about 30 seconds.

One of my strategies for decades has been to ride in rural areas with horse farms, have a good lawyer, and wave to everybody. I cannot remember the last issue I had locally.
One neighborhood I lived in in San Diego was all closed in except for two streets out. Going west, the traffic light had a detector in the ground that I could never trigger... even motorcycles could not trigger it... I had to "push the button" every time. I even talked to motorcyclists waiting at the same light... their comments agreed with me, it was a PITA.

The other direction, going N/S had a camera triggered light... it worked perfectly if I wore some contrasting clothing. (nothing dark). I usually wore bright clothing on my commutes, so this worked quite well. Knowing the other light was a dud, I often went north before going west... just to avoid that failed detector.

The contrast between the working and non-working lights just a block or two apart was quite interesting. No matter how many times I reported the non-functioning light, it was never "fixed."