Old 10-30-22, 06:43 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Tires don't get anymore high volume, or lower pressure than the OEM tires on the T900. .
Our T900 came with 26 X 1.75 Bontragers, other years may have spec'd different tires. I just replaced them today with 26 X 2.0 Schwalbe Marathons and there is a noticeable difference in both ride and perceived pedaling effort. The bike rides smoother and feels like it rolls much easier. Of course I have to consider the fact that the Bontragers were old, hard and age cracked soo.... but higher volume tires are available.

We also have a Raleigh Comapanion I put together for the local rails to trails and a local canal tow path that are mostly gravel, patches of dirt and sand and occasionally chip and oil. I put 26 X 2.3 Kenda Small Block 8 tires on it and while they do have a bit more rolling resistance over the Schwalbes on pavement (although not bad considering the aggressive tread) they have an even smoother ride due to the large volume. They fit the Raleigh frame but clearance at the back of FD cage is tight. By visual comparison I believe they will fit the T900 as well. Kenda makes their Kwest line in a 26 X 1.9 that is nearly as wide as most 2.125's but I don't know how well they would hold up on a tandem. I have them on a vintage MTB turned townie and they handle and ride great.