View Single Post
Old 10-31-22, 04:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Well, to be honest, MTBing and I did not get off to a good start. Way back in July 2016, the same brother-in-law lent me an X-caliber 9 and took me out to a group ride and a race across some hills to the east of Jeddah; only he neglected to tell me that the front brake was faulty, and I neglected to test ride the rig before starting out. On the first steep descent I came barreling down, I lost control of my speed, eventually ditching and crashing down onto my tush. For months, I had a third butt cheek to show for it.

But it was that incident that got me even more curious about MTBing, and the episode went a long way in getting me to shape up my regular riding. I had already figured at the time that I would've had a steep learning curve to grapple with, but it was on that day that I realized just how steep the curve was.

Would he lend me that X-caliber 9 again for a second chance to see if I'd fare better? I'll definitely ask him that the next time I see him! But there's no shortage of barely-used Marlin 7's (and lesser Marlins) in my size in the classifieds, along with a few older 3700s and the like!
You need to be riding easy dual track and easy single track at best. You need time to learn the bike, how it handles and brakes. Maybe join a beginner ride with a local mt. bike club, our club does these every first Sunday at local parks with beginner trails. Having somebody teach and demonstrate riding concepts is key. There are skills that get used for turning, braking, descending, etc.... that you want to know before you get over your head and get hurt.
Likes For Steve B.: