Old 11-05-22, 06:55 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
I just finished putting together a Raleigh Companion with parts from our old tandem. I couldn't use the old FD because it only had a 28.6 clamp and the Raleigh has 31.8 seat tubes. The Crankset is an old Sugino 53/42/32 and the old FD was a Deore LX which shouldn't have worked but it did. I found a triple derailleur that works with the 53t chainring, it's a Shimano FD-R443 bottom pull with a 31.8 clamp. According to the specs the derailleur has to be used with specific flat bar road shifters but I have read where people are using it with standard MTB shifters. The consensus is that it is actually just a MTB derailleur body with a road triple cage to clear larger chain rings. I used one on the Companion and hunted down the required shifters which look identical to my Deore MTB shifters. I found my derailleur here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313634721515 but had to source the shifters from Taiwan and they only had 3X8 sets, no 3X9. I have ordered a 2nd one for a 3 X 9 build and I'm going to try it with a set of MTB shifters.