View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 09:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,553 Posts
DQRider OH NO! I’m sorry to hear this. I’m certain this can be repaired but you need to find the right guy. I was lucky enough to work for/with a guy who was previously a machinist and he could do wonderful things. I’ve straightened a few myself but it takes lots of time and patience. I’ve even seen some with the wheel slot splayed open made useable again. The next step might be finding a frame builder (maybe even a motorcycle guy and perhaps a gunsmith?) to grind off the old hanger and replace it.

I suspect an overshift was the culprit here rather than the chain, unless your chain was too short to go in ‘big n big’ but that likely wouldn’t have bent the hanger that way. While I take some grief for it “Derailleur Protectors” are showing up on my bikes. I’d rather take some ribbing for having a dork disc on my fancy ‘80 Batavus Professional than suffer through this issue.

Do you ride with a group? When I got my first good bike I constantly buggering up the rear wheel but after I started going on group and training rides I sort of learned how ‘ride light’ if you will. Avoiding obstacles in the road goes without saying but learning to get out of the saddle and shift your weight rear to front as you go over a bump takes a little, or for me a lot, of practice. I know a lot of guys who can bunny hop over lots of stuff with an incredibly smooth landing but they usually have lots of BMX experience.

Hopefully someone can suggest a place close by to get this repaired.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll: