Old 11-06-22, 06:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I posted this several months ago:

Originally Posted by Doug64
I have good results keeping my outer layer breathable and water proof. I live in western Oregon, and have worked mostly outdoors. I've used breathable fabrics since they were introduced. They have been used primarily for mountaineering, skiing, backpacking, cycling, work and for casual wear. It rains a lot in western Oregon.

I've found that if the garments are kept clean and treated correctly they will do their job.

This is the 15+ year old jacket in the picture I posted above. It is used mostly around town now, but it still sheds the rain. If the water beads up on clean outer fabric, the tech fabric has a much better chance of functioning as advertised. When the outer fabric is saturated with water, the breathable layer can't function properly. Body oils, especially around the neck area are hard on the breathable layer, even promoting delamination.

Gentle washing using mild soap (Nikwax Tech-Wash), a gentle spin or no spin, spraying a water repellent treatment (ReviveX) on the hanging garment while it still wet, and drying with a medium or low temperature will usually do the job.

I've had good results with these products.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-06-22 at 06:25 PM.
Likes For Doug64: