Thread: Tire pressure
View Single Post
Old 11-07-22, 08:34 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
25mm tires are pretty narrow, and narrow tires require higher pressure to avoid pinch flats. Also, insufficient pressure means the tire is compressing more than ideal and you lose energy to that flex. You might also notice 'squirming' or other undesirable handling traits with underinflated tires. So there are multiple reasons to continue to ride narrow or narrowish tires at high (~100psi or thereabouts) pressures.

Lower pressures are becoming more popular because many road bikes can accept fatter tires than in decades past - I have had more than one bike where 25mm seemed to be as wide as would fit, but I don't see my future self owning a bike that can't fit at least 32s.

So if sticking with 25mm tires, yeah, pressures in the 90s or 100s of psi are probably still a good idea. When you ride those tires enough to wear them out, see if you can fit wider tires for your next set and then enjoy the benefits of lower pressures. THere are many 'high-performance' (lightweight and light, supple casing) tires available in 28mm, perhaps fewer in 32mm, and only a few options above that. Lots of heavier and tougher tires in all sizes, but not so many 'fast' tires.