Old 11-11-22, 07:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Darn it, my sweeping generalization didn't make it through the day! Nice car and well done.
Cheers! Funny thing about the example I gave is that I paid £23k for that 1973 911S in 2002, which was absolutely top of the market value at that time. Another potential buyer had offered the seller £22k and refused to go any higher to make the deal. I didn't think it was worth haggling to the last thousand and was happy to pay the full asking price of £23k. It was in original condition and immaculate, while most other examples were pretty ropey - usually selling at around £15k. At the time I thought these cars were being massively undervalued in the overall market - say compared to a Ferrari Dino 246, which was already worth maybe 4x as much as its Porsche rival.

Anyway, that £1k extra I paid to get this car was just a drop in the ocean once values took off a few years later and it's the most original, immaculate examples that really make the big gains in value later on. I also have an immaculate 1982 911SC which I bought for peanuts when they were unfashionable among classic 911s. Again at the time I paid maybe 25% above the market going rate (for the very best example I could find), but it's now worth about 6x what I paid for it and rising.