View Single Post
Old 11-12-22, 10:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Oh, so now you're going to change what I said, I did not say I changed it's shape, what I said was I could feel it flex slightly, which of course it rebounded when I let the pressure off, but try squeezing the center of a top tube on any other material and see what happens...nothing happens, no flex, no nothing, unless you're super strong you could make aluminum bend in from which it will not rebound back.
Build a sub 600 gram steel frame and give it a squeeze, you would be able to crush it like a beer can. Now build a 1,700 gram carbon frame and give it a squeeze if you can crush that apply for a job with the circus. Besides who cares if it flex's anyways?

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I think it is correct. This is the reason that people who tour on bicycle chose steel because it's the only material that even a person with a simple welder can repair, be it anywhere in the world, you won't see that happening with any other frame material, especially CF or TI. Even in the US you still have to send the CF somewhere for the repair, whereas a local person could fix a steel bike.
Good luck finding a random welder repairing a 753 or other heat treated steel frame. Given that most of the current premium lighter weight frames are tig welded how do you propose some local guy is going to repair that?
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: