View Single Post
Old 11-24-22, 09:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Eric- I have rocked my 350lbish 2x3 cast surface plate up and onto 2 of the 3 pads when cold setting a built frame's main triangle before. Took a 1" bar bell shaft about 4 feet long. What amazed me was that the frame tubing took all that and never showed any ripples. The surface plate is now bolted to a stand that adds about 100lb and a larger footprint. Still I nudged it around a bit, but no longer any rocking

smontanaro- If you suspected the table top was flexing a steel plate pad (there's that word again) could be added. Do you know any local machinist type people? For someone with a lathe making a post is quite easy. For your needs common grade steel is all that would be needed. If there's a used tool shop (ours is a non profit for a senior center) it can be a good place to network from. There's a local model/craft store near me and the RC model guys can often be a good source for others who take on evening work. Even if the table top works out well you've got to do something about the lacking vise mount A solid vise is one of the first 10 tools I would have.

Off for a ride than prep the clay pot turkey breast w/ mashed potato... hope your dinners are good too. Andy