Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
This might be P&R and/or 50+, but here goes.

For some reason the feed for "Dr Berg" popped up in my youtube feed. There was a video about how you should stop taking statins and take niacin instead for your heart.

The guy is a chiro and has a HUGE following. Of course if you do a scientific literature search you will see that the data to support Niacin is incredibly weak, while the data to support statins is quite strong and robust. Example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6481694/

I suppose I should just chalk this up to more fake news, and anyone can now be an expert online.

Comments?
I can't imagine taking medical advice from the YOOTOOB unless it's like a verified account from the Mayo Clinic or whatever. But I mainly only go there for like the occasional music video anyway.

Chiros can definitely help with body pains. In my experience, MDs usually just want to give a painkiller or muscle relaxer instead of actually solving that issue. But I'd never go to a chiro for anything else. Heart = MD, and maybe cardiologist specifically. Of course me being me I'd also read some of the actual research.