View Single Post
Old 03-08-06, 09:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by ****er
Wow! Glad to find this thread. I got an oval-tubed Benotto, via ebay a few years ago, came from Holland. Seller didn't know much about it and there was a language barrier. I guessed it to be early to mid 80's. Top, down, and seat tubes are all oval, brazed into round lugs. Seatstays are oval, chainstays are diamond-shaped. Cables are internal routed, including rear brake cable. The fork looks very conventional, Benotto engraved on top of semi-sloping crown, fork is all chrome, chainstays and dropouts are chromed. Other than chrome and blue Benotto name stickers the color is light pearl-ish off-white. There is the previously described indentation in the seat tube to allow a tight fit for the rear wheel, wheelbase is quite short. There are Columbus tube decals and a sticker with "Mod 5000" on the top tube. Kinda hard to describe the exact shape of the tubes, there seems to be a distinct edge fore and aft as I run my hand along the tubes, just enough to indicate they aren't round. There are some #'s and the letter "I" stamped on the bb shell. I know Benottos are made in Mexico, but thought perhaps the "I" indicated Italian origin. I'm considering restoring mine pretty close to original, overall in good shape except for finish, some rust and lots of scratches. I would certainly be interested in learing more about this strain of Benottos.
Benotto models typically increase in stature with an increasing model number. The 3000 was Columbus SL with Campagnolo NR/SR, so a model 5000 should be a very good bicycle. The tube shapes don't seem to fit any of the recognized, special shaped Columbus tubesets (see post #8), so unless there is some special designation on the Columbus decal, I'd assume the tubes were shaped by Benotto.