View Single Post
Old 11-30-22, 01:13 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 460 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
If you are the "experienced" guy as you claim to be...

Then the following IS TRUE:

1. YOU already know that we provide estimates for spoke by spoke tension and overall average tension. To do otherwise is a waste of time and pointless.

Dial indicators and Digital indicators exist to provided better resolution where precise measurements are needed.

For our purpose, they are a waste of money - just fancy paperweights.

2. YOU already know that the reliability of our tension meters is a function of their being kept calibrated.

The TM-1 can last anywhere from 100s to up to a 1000 wheels before the spring breaks. That spring is easily replaced.

Their physical reliability is NOT the issue.

3. YOU already know that not all spoke material grades are the same for the same gauge and not all treatments are the same.

This further drives the estimation factor measurement on top of the already easily recognized imbalances from imperfect rims and hubs.

4. YOU already know that the truest indicator of what the tension load is to the nth degree would be the spoke itself telling us:

"Hey! I feel a 107.3995 +/- .0001 kilogram load on me!"

But it's an inanimate object...so we do the best we can. We take an indirect reading with an imperfectly human constructed middleman that measures deflection with a followup interpretation.

It's called a tensionmeter. And it does the job we need it do.

The Park TM-1 included.

So either:

A. Your statement was that of a blowhard with something to sell delivered in a one-liner . . .

or

B. Your statement did reveal your ignorance and you have now been corrected.

=8-|
Lots of BS huffing and puffing.

If you're using a poorly designed tension "meter" that outputs a DIFFERENT measurement EVERYTIME you put it on the same spoke, then it's a total waste of time. It doesn't matter how much you "calibrate" it. The thing can't even give you the same measurement five seconds apart. What are you "calibrating" exactly??? Would you use a ruler that measures 1", but then you take it off the page, put it back on the page, and now it shows 1-1/16? NO! HELLO???

That's all there is to this. Period. The end.

If you want a real laugh, squirt some WD40 on the moving parts of that Park meter and watch the measured tension shoot up. That's how much friction affects the accuracy of this tool. It's a complete joke.

Now you're talking about "estimates" being good enough and "precise" being unnecessary. I just told you there is a $600 tool out there with a dial gauge that gets you precision, and there is a $50 version of the $600 tool that you can buy that is just as good as the $600 tool. And you're sitting here arguing in favor of your $90 POS obsolete tool. What's your point exactly??? $50 is cheaper than $90. Cheaper AND better. Ergo, the $90 Park tool is not a smart choice. What's hard to understand about this simple concept?

I get it, it's your favorite tool in the world that you inherited from your dead ancestors, whatever. The reality is that it's not a great tool and there are better out there for cheaper. Truth is hard to accept, get over it. If you want to keep using your tool, that is your freedom. I'm here sharing information about a superior alternative to other people. What problem do you have with this? You use something therefore it must be only allowable option even if it sucks? No thanks.

Last edited by Yan; 11-30-22 at 01:32 PM.