Old 12-05-22, 04:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Not interested in "ultra light" touring, at this point. I'll lose more pounds off my middle section instead of cutting weight off the bike. Off the body doesn't cost a dime.
Not a fan of titanium or carbon so that alone usually keeps costs in control....generally....
Not a fan of Rohloff.
I'll probably opt for a more lightly weighted 4x panniers setup instead of two heavy bags.
Agree with stardognine, I like wide tires so probably 37's minimum..and coupled with a steel frame it's a pretty smooth ride already. My daily exercise bike is a Wabi Special with 30's.

My goal is not break neck speed but take my time and enjoy the ride, nature and people. I like to fly fish and I'm a photo buff also so going to make time for that. That extra gear weight will be spread across the 4x panniers. When I backpack in the wilderness for 3 to 10 days I carry a 70L pack, which includes room for my camera and fishing gear. I go pretty light but that's carrying everything on my back. I figure spreading the weight around 4x panneirs would be best for balance on the bike. I'm all ears if folks think differently though. Remember, I'm a back packer but not a bike tourer so I have a lot to learn.

I'll probably do some "credit card" touring through some areas but will be camping in between.
I think there are a wide variety of bikes that would fit this quite well. I am assuming you will use drop bars, as that is the norm in USA.

Thanks for mentioning Fairlight, I was not familiar with them. One thing would make me a bit nervous about them is that when I look at their website I do not see any photos of one with four panniers. Thus, I question if the frame would be too soft for conventional touring with four panniers if nobody has photos of it that way. And if you stay 220 pounds, that also means you need a pretty stiff frame when your gear is loaded on the bike.

The list of other bikes you are considering are all ones that have extensive use, thus should fit your needs quite well. I would not rule out the Trek 520 or a Fuji touring bike which would expand your list. If you built it up from the frame, Co-Motion would be a good option but would be somewhat more expensive.

Yes I heard you say not interested in titanium, but the Lynskey Backroad is a nice frame. You might want to give it a look. I am quite happy with my Lynskey, I built it up five years ago. They have made a lot of changes to the frame since mine was built, but overall it looks like none of the changes detracts from the goal of being a solid touring bike. When I bought mine, the fork was not included with the frame, I have a steel fork on mine but now it comes bundled with a carbon fork. I use 37mm tires and have 45mm fenders on mine. I have two steel touring bikes and the Lynskey, I consider the Lynskey to be my light touring bike.
https://lynskeyperformance.com/backr...ring-frameset/

With that many choices, I think you need to think about some details.
  • Will the frame offer the size tires you may want if you also have fenders mounted?
  • Will you be using a dynohub? If you build it up from a frame, adding a dynohub is only the cost of the hub, minus the cost of the regular hub. But if you add that to a complete bike, then the price goes up.
  • Some will want a kickstand, some do not, if you want a stand will that void a warranty and can one be fitted to the frame. I have them on my steel touring bikes but do not have one on my titanium bike.
  • You said you are 64, I am 68, I find that in the past decade I raised my handlebars about 10 to 20mm and in a couple situations I shortened the reach on my bikes. Whatever you choose, anticipate wanting your handlebars higher or further back as you age more.
  • And you need to think about drive train, a 1X, 2X or a triple crank. I think you will find most experienced bike tourists that use four panniers will suggest a triple crank.

If you can test ride any of the bikes before buying, even if it is only riding around a parking lot, I would encourage you to do that.