Thread: Winter Touring
View Single Post
Old 12-05-22, 08:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Studded tires are very slow, only use them if you have to. Or, if marginal but not terrible conditions, consider studded only on the front.

Water, if there is snow you melt that with your liquid fuel stove. If no snow, you may be out of luck.

Days are very short, riding in the dark would be a hazard.

Batteries for virtually anything run down very fast in cold weather.

Last I heard, you are not supposed to charge Li Ion batteries if below freezing.

The difference between a 3 season tent and a 4 season tent is that a 4 season tent will stay up with several inches of snow falling on it. And a 4 season tent has less ventilation to be a bit warmer.

If you need a friend or family to come rescue you, make sure they would know in advance your route so they can find you and make sure that you will know their phone number when you might need it. And make sure your phone battery is good enough for a call with a very cold battery.

If you accidently allow your water bottle to freeze, it may stay frozen for days.

In my youth I did a lot of winter camping, but I have never considered a bike tour in winter.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: